Monday, April 25, 2005

More BS coming your way

The third season of Penn and Teller's Bullshit premiers tonight on Showtime. Now nobody I know actually gets Showtime, but I think it is worth the price for this show alone. Out here where I live there is no cable available and I have no interest in buying a dish with 200 channels of junk. If you don't get the show when it is aired, you can always wait until next year when the DVD set comes out. Seasons one and two are already available.

If you like reading this site but just wish that it were funnier, had a team of researchers, and used more bad language, then BS is the show for you. While I disagree with some of the angles they take, particularly some of their libertarian interpretations of environmental issues, they have never failed to at least make me revisit some of my beliefs. It is P&T's outspoken nature about skepticism and atheism that forces the rest of us to stop hiding in the closet. They were recently given the Richard Dawkin's Award by the Atheist Alliance. You can read Teller's report and Dawkin's presentation speech online.

This article about the show even has a quote from me in it! Well no not exactly, but it is exactly what I said to Penn when I last ran into him in December:
Their viewers, (Penn) Jillette claims, include schoolteachers who tell him, "You know, if there were just a few less 'motherf------,' I would show this in my class."
The first time I ever heard of P&T was when I saw them do their famous watertank trick on SNL in 1985. At 14yo I was immediately sold because they were brash and in your face. Now over 20 years later I am still hooked for the same reasons.

No comments: