Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Lions and dragons and bears, oh my!

During my recent time in Singapore I took the opportunity to see their famous zoo. So today is one of the rare times you might learn something from skepticklish.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The big new highlight at the Zoo were the giraffes. How nice you didn't even have to go inside to see one. It moved more than many of the real animals in the zoo.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
One of the highlights for me was the wild thumb. Very rare in this part of the world. Gary Larson would have approved.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
OK I will actually get around to posting some photos I took of real animals. Of course a zoo in the Lion City has lots of Lions.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
They have a few endangered species like the White Rhino. Written about in Douglas Adam's Last Chance to See.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Also featured in that book were Komodo Dragons. Their bite can really ruin your day.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Well no they didn't let the kids in with the dragons. But the petting zoo did include this smaller reptile.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This gal made friends quickly with one of the snakes.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I don't know what this little guy's name was but he didn't like having his picture taken and he just about came up and grabbed my camera.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
On the other hand, these sun bears were mugging for the lens for hours.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The zoo generally featured natural settings for all the animals. Or at least they looked like they were natural to us humans.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Oh yes here is that camel I was looking for in Kuala Lumpur.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The polar bear was the only one lucky enough to get air conditioning on this hot day.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Apparently they have had problems with their penguins so they left them out in the heat and posted this description.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Well these kids on a field trip all thought the sign was funny.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The kids ignored these Guanacos for the most part and headed straight for the apes.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The zoo is most famous for their large collection of primates. These orang utans home was being remodeled so they just hung out and ate with everybody else in the cafeteria.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This one was upset that the gibbons were not welcome to join.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Hamadryas Babboons were invited but turned down the offer, they are so spoiled that their food was brought to them.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The chimpanzees, our closest relatives on the tree of life were busy with other things.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Being the brilliant marketers they are at the Singapore Zoo. They decided to split their zoo in half and open part of it only at night. After the regular zoo closed, step this way for the Night Safari!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Hanging out late gave me an opportunity to take pictures of fire dancers!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
However as flash photography was not allowed and the whole place was barely lit you aren't going to get any other photos of the night safari. Above is a shot I took of a huge Indian Rhino!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
They did have a stupid pet tricks show I was able to photograph. The highlight was some Weasels recycling cans.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
With my ticket I also got admision to a bird park the next day. With even more tricks for us lowly humans.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The bird park was a big hit with the burka set it seemed.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
There were some less arrogant birds around as well, I seem to favour the ones without all the bright colors.

Ok, tomorrow I will wrap things up from Singapore. With photos of some of the more unusual street signs I saw.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I didn't particularly feel like learning anything, but leave it to the teacher always wanting to teach something. So, I learned that it's pretty much impossible to see very large animals in the dark, and I better be careful where I wander. Looking forward to signs. lt