Monday, August 18, 2008

They are at a megachurch for christ's sake!

Time to chime in about the election again. I already pointed out last year I wouldn't vote for either Obama or McCain because of their god talk in the primary campaign. The response I often get is that Obama has to pander to the evangelicals in the campaign. When he takes office we will see that he is intelligent after all and really doesn't believe in any of that nonsense.

So the first big joint appearance by the two major candidates is in a megachurch hosted by a pastor who says he would never vote for an Atheist. So have the Atheists for Obama disbanded yet? Yes, evangelicals won the election for Bush last time around, but why give this comparatively small group all the power again?

People who want a completely secular government make up at least 20% of the electorate. That includes non-religious Jews, Atheists, and progressive religious folks who support maintaining a wall between church and state. It is not a small group and why would any of you vote for Obama or McCain based on their constant mixing of superstitious BS with politics?

Sorry, but believing in things that have no evidence to support them is dumb and I don't vote for dumb people. Unfortunately I don't really have an alternative for you at the moment, even Bob Barr, the Libertarian, has an abysmal record on issues important to secularists. At this point I'm thinking I will have to write in NONE OF THE ABOVE, if you have a better candidate let me know. For all of my fellow Atheists who still must vote for the big BO I will leave you with this quote that you can reflect on as you enter the voting booth.

I BELIEVE IN THAT jESUS cHRIST DIED FOR MY SINS AND THAT I AM REDEEMED THROUGH HIM. THAT IS A SOURCE OF STRENGTH AND SUSTENANCE ON A DAILY BASIS. I KNOW THAT I DON'T WALK ALONE, AND I KNOW THAT IF I CAN GET MYSELF OUT OF THE WAY, THAT I CAN MAYBE CARRY OUT IN SOME SMALL WAY WHAT HE INTENDS. AND IT MEANS THAT THOSE SINS THAT I HAVE ON A FAIRLY REGULAR BASIS HOPEFULLY WILL BE WASHED AWAY.
Barack Obama

No comments: