So I passed pt. 2 of the CSET math test now. Not sure how since I was a bit of a slacker this time around as far as studying but however it happened, it's a done deal. I now have everything I need to send in to Sacramento for a foundational math certificate.
I did it all with old used textbooks and accompanying solution manuals bought on E-bay for just a few bucks, I used free down-loadable ebooks and videos, and other web resources. No money spent on test-prep classes, university courses, tutoring, fancy new books, what have you. The $4 billion test-prep industry is entitled to make their money of course and I'm sure they are also helpful, but as I'm all about value for money, in the current climate where Wikiversity is a click away, I would advise they take a hard look at what value they are adding.
On eBay you can buy a good college algebra book, plus solution manual, plus shipping, plus tax, for $15 or less total. Plus the aforementioned free sites and videos which can help you hone into exactly what's going to be on the test. The test prep books & courses cost $100's. It isn't an exaggeration that some people are spending $1000 on help for these tests. Now I'm a wacko in that I get off on getting the most value for money, while most won't be as extreme as me, we are talking about students and teachers taking these tests after all who aren't known for throwing their money around. Looks like Kaplan will go the same way as their founder, who recently died if they don't get with the new program. Wired did an article on Knewton which is trying a new cheaper online model.
It's so nice that the internet and podcasting got their start prior to iPhones/iPod Touch/iPads. The new Apple Store model is completely restricted and nickels and dimes you for everything. The devices are locked down and everything has got to go through the manufacturer. I enjoy the wide open model we've had with computers and the web up to now. It has brought us all sorts of accessible knowledge free of any gatekeepers. You already know the stories of the industries it has shaken up, but adult education doesn't seem to be one of them.
For kids the traditional model of the classroom and teacher still is really the best thing out there and can't be replaced, but for anybody age 16 and over I'm not sure if most really need it. Some programs more than other need interaction with a cohort of students of course, but even those could have their 'scheduled class time' greatly diminished in favor of online options.
Well I could go on forever about how education has always been sluggish to adapt to technology but I really just popped on to give you the update on my test. In fact I finished those tests quicker than I thought and considering I'm still funemployed I'm now going to tackle CSET math Part 3, in order to get a full-math credential! Should be fun, I've already got my giant Calculus book off ebay for $4 including shipping. Plus my hero Gilbert Strang of MIT has put out a new short series called Highlights of Calculus.
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment