Thursday, August 21, 2014

You would think academics would bother to look up the definition of "Reciprocity."

If they did they would find it defined as 'mutually interchangeable.'  For decades there has been a national organization called NASDTEC who have a mission to help make teaching credentials reciprocal between states.  I honestly don't think they have gotten anywhere, and it seems like things are worse than when they started.

If there is actually a state with true reciprocity where you can mail them a copy of your credential from one state and a few weeks later you get a credential back from theirs' with no further stipulations please let me know.  Nope, every state thinks there specific requirements and tests are better than everybody elses, and with the exception of having to redo your degree again, you pretty much have to start back at square one.

There are several different content knowledge tests, and seems more and more states are coming up with their own.  So if you passed the Math CSET test in California it counts for nothing in Washington state where you would have to take their own specific test called the WEST.  Different states also have different tests relating to local history, civil rights, english language learners, pedagogy and so forth.  The tests cost 100s of dollars and obviously take a good deal of time to study for.

States will have different tiers of credentials, you can get the first one good for a year but have to perhaps pass the tests I mentioned and maybe take a class or two before they will move you up to the next step credential.  Experience rarely counts for anything, every now and then you might be able skip a test if your former employers fill out specific forms and mail them to the new state.

I jumped through all the hoops twice already, when moving from WA to AZ and CA.  I was only in Arizona for two years and didn't pursue the next tier credential up after I left, so that credential has long since expired and I would have to start all over again I imagine if I ever went back there.  Now with a probable move next year I recently started the process for a whole new state.  It will take months but I will try and keep you up to date with the new nonsense I will face.

In recent years I think NCLB and a general lack of jobs have prevented any states from streamlining their process.  However if there is ever a teacher shortage again, that will probably provide motivation enough to actual provide the reciprocity they claim to provide.  But maybe not, since I imagine ETS has some powerful lobbyists.

No comments: