Thursday, January 06, 2005

Expensive extension chords

I am not the first to say, businesses never make their money off of what we think they do. Xerox and others don't really sell copy machines or printers, they sell toner and paper. TV manufacturers must be in league with the cable companies. Xbox sell their machines at a loss but clean up nicely on their game cartridges.

I finally figured out what Apple Comps really earn their money on. They don't sell laptop computers they sell power supplies!!! I have had an iBook for three years and have had to replace my power supply three times now. Each time it has involved tripping over the cable somehow and completely messing it up. For a new power supply from Apple it costs $75. So the picture starts to become clear.


When I tripped over my computer cable again in Las Vegas last month I thought I had really done it this time. The end of the plug broke off inside the machine and I couldn't get it out. I took it to the comp shop and the guy told me it had to be sent back to Apple and would cost $600 minimum to fix. Needless to say I was quite upset. I was considering switching to PC that day I was so mad.

I decided I should get a second opinion. I went to this other guy whose little shop was all locked up. After I knocked on the door he let me in and locked the door behind me because of the "thieves" in the area. His news was a little better. He said I had to send it in but it might only cost $200 or so. Still not happy with his estimate I looked around for one more place.

Third times a charm. The only other Apple repair place in Vegas could do it in-house and would have it ready for me tomorrow. The cost was $110 plus the power supply and I was good to go. I ended up getting a discount third-party $49 power supply on eBay so that Apple wouldn't have the satisfaction of selling me another one. I am sure they saw a commision on it somehow though.

No comments: