I took a seat with Chano down in the press box shortly before the baseball game started. We were joined by a guy all bundled up ready for the cold night. It turned out he was a commentator for the Aguilas' radio broadcast. Researchers and others also joined us and crowded into the tiny booth at field level right behind the on-deck circle.
Before the show started the commentator leaned over and asked me a few questions about where I was from and what I was doing at the game and such. Then before I knew what was even going on he had a microphone in his hand and was talking all about the guest he had in the booth who had come all the way from Arizona to see this game. The broadcast had started, which as far as I know is broadcast to all of Baja California, and I was the subject of the pregame show. He then stuck the microphone in my face and started asking me questions live on the air about the team in Spanish. I responded with a few simple answers in Spanglish saying I didn't really know the players and was there just for a vacation and a good time. I said I was looking forward to seeing Fernando play.
The interview just lasted for a few minutes but it was certainly not something I thought I would be involved with when I had crossed the border about an hour previously. From our little booth it was a bit difficult to see down the right field line and even first base. The commentator looked at me a few times to tell him what had happened in the game, if a player was out and so forth. He kept score on his little card and made the occasional comment. The main play-by-play guy was in another booth upstairs. The game proved to be quite historical, with both teams hitting a combined 11 homeruns and tying a Mexican league record.

About the middle of the game Chano said, "Come on!" again and I followed him to some primo seats in the stadium. They were right behind homeplate at field level behind home plate. It looked like the pitcher was throwing the ball right at my head. He introduced me to this guy who was the head of security for the Governor of Baja Cal. The beer was flowing freely, at only about a $1.35 a cup how can you go wrong?
A foul ball came back our way and hit the netting above my head. The ball rolled down the net and stuck right at the top of the backstop. I jumped up and managed to pull it out of a big hole in the net, competing with a few others for the souvenir. So now I can add a Rawlings Liga Mexicana Del Pacifico baseball to my collection of numerous balls I got years ago in Seattle.
A fellow Gringo from Washington State noticed my Mariners jacket and sort of wondered why I was so special. He asked if I was a scout. I guess he had seen me on the field and now sitting in the great seats. I told him I just knew the right people apparently. He told me his son was a baseball player for some college in Arizona and he was trying out to play in the Mexican Leagues. That guy saw me the next day again in the clubhouse and I really think he didn't believe I wasn't a scout. He went out of his way to introduce his son to me and was talking him up.
Yes Chano did tell me that if I met him again before the game the next day, I would get the same treatment. Sure enough we met out in the parking lot and he got me in free again and into the great seats behind home. That night, Wednesday, I had the pleasure of seeing Fernando Valenzuela pitch six shutout innings giving up only one hit. The Aguilas also clinched a spot in the playoffs which start tomorrow.
This story, as with everything else on skepticklish is completely true. It may not be a front page baseball news story like this one was years ago but unforgettable none the less. So if you are looking for a unique experience just jump on a rickety old bus in Mexico. You never know what it might lead to.
1 comment:
Well, now I know what you've been up to. Sounds like great fun. mom
Post a Comment