Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The artform of film is dead!

I actually would like to be more of a realist and say it is just on hiatus. Thinking back over the past decade I can't even think of many brilliant films. I think 1996 was the last good film year, we had Fargo, Sling Blade, Sydney and Shall we Dansu. Since then if I am going to be generous I might say Magnolia in 1999, Amelie and Spirited Away in 2001 but I am hard pressed to really think of anything that could be really called true art. Sure there are still a few great films every year but none that have that magic combination of being: bold, insightful, engaging and challenging all from a unique viewpoint. (Feel free to add any films you think I missed from 1996 to today in the comments below as I admit I don't get out to the movies much anymore.) Interesting that 1996 was also about the time the internet took off. Coincidence?


Like any other artform film has had its high and low points. Here is a quite fascinating, albeit long, article on how all good art, including the movies, is a product of revolution and a vibrant counter culture. Considering the simmering US backlash against Bush and the evangelicals we might just be a few years away from the next great artistic movement. Whether that happens on film, on the internet, or some other medium we shall see. In the mean time, while art is dead why not spend more of your free time learning about the natural world and the sciences. As always, truth is more interesting than fiction.

No comments: