Sunday, May 22, 2005

May the FORCE be finished!

A few years ago it really hit me that Lucas is not a filmmaker but a marketing genius. When I saw a first grade student wearing a Star Wars t-shirt, I couldn't help but think back to when I was wearing a similar shirt when I was in the first grade. A generation from now, there will be some new first grader wearing a Star Wars t-shirt. Yep, he will take a break, but Lucas won't be able to stay away from his money printing machine for very long.

Now that said, the new film is good, and ranks up there with the original two films. In a perfect world, Lucas would have just skipped episodes one and two altogether and used this film as a one-off prequel to the original series. I am a bit dissapointed though that there was no sign of Han in this film. As this film supposedly took place 19 years before the original that would probably put Han in about first grade himself. Sorry I won't give away anything else, well there is one thing . . . Anakin becomes Vader!

As Star Wars was often the topic of conversation during our recess 25 years ago, we were predicting even then what would be in the prequels. I remember one of my grade school chums couldn't wait to see the prequels as he really wanted to see the bet in which Lando lost the Falcon to Han. It apparently didn't make the cut and my friend is probably in tears. Maybe Lucas will come up with an episode 3.5 one day to make him happy. Personally, I would rather see a Willow sequel than another Star Wars film at this point.

No comments: