Sunday, November 13, 2005

E plurbus unum is unconstitutional!

If I were to rank in importance the different "pro-secular issues" that we could be working on, it would probably go something like this:
1. Supporting stem cell research.
2. Supporting the right to die.
3. Supporting real science in the classroom.
4. Supporting reproductive rights for women.
5. Supporting federal voucher programs that do not go to religious schools.
6. Supporting a pledge of allegiance that does not endorse any deitys.
7. Supporting the schools and institutions who will not provide a forum for discriminatory groups, such as the boy scouts.

Well excuse me for leaving out some good things to support, but my point is that way way way down at the bottom of the list is:

245: Supporting the removal of "In God We Trust" from US money.

As much as I love Michael Newdow's efforts towards bringing the USA a neutral pledge and think we need more Atheist activists like him, his latest campaign just seems like a waste of time. Sure it would be nice to have coins and bills that don't endorse a deity but the effort involved and the backlash that will happen just aren't worth it. I mean who really reads what's on a coin? Usually we are too busy spending them.

I will gladly wager some of my religious money that we will have a cashless society long before those words are ever removed from any coins or bills.

3 comments:

GABRIEL C. ZOLMAN said...

Nice post. I'm going to approve you for the "Damnedest" ring; I'm also going to link you on my own blog.

)+(

Anonymous said...

As MC Hawking says "What the world needs now is more science"
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/233937

4th Dwarf said...

Doesn't E Pluribus Unum mean something like "One out of Many"?