Sunday, July 01, 2007

What about that zero?

The big fun news story to talk about this week is how lucky July 7, 2007 will be, 7/7/07. Tons of people getting married that day, lots of people going to vegas and the casinos. But I'm sure if you check the payouts in Vegas on 7/7/77 you won't see numbers that differ from any other day, if you can find the divorce rates of folks married on that date, they will most probably match those married on the Eighth. In a quick search I couldn't find any numbers on these things but I would be much more willing to bet on that than to pull a slot machine handle this Saturday.

Plus this year we now have a big ZERO thrown into the mix before the final 7, since when was that number ever lucky? Numerology like every other BS pseudoscience bends the rules to meet their needs, If the last two digits of a year were important in 1977, then the last two digits must be important again now in 2007. I will watch the newspapers on Sunday and Monday to see if anybody is reporting on the story after the fact, to see just how lucky people were. (Well I imagine most of the weddings will survive 24 hours at least) Reporting on the millions of 7/7/07-believing people who aren't going to win the lottery this Saturday should be an easy story for the press Sunday morning, but I'm NOT willing to bet they will run with that.


PS - And sorry the following has nothing to do with anything but since I can't really get away with saying this on my Torchwood blog and I wanted to get it off my chest, I thought the conclusion of the final episode of Doctor Who this year "The Last of the Timelords" completely sucked! It really was dreadful and that is the first time I have said words that strong since the series came back three years ago. There have been some poor episodes here and there over the last two years, but the resolution of the mostly good season 29 was total rubbish and what love affair I may have had with RTD is finished. OK that said, back to normal programming.

No comments: