Monday, November 23, 2009

Wow a teacher glut out of nowhere!

I have been very impressed that a recent AP story called Teacher shortage gives way to teacher glut has been covered in major papers and is all over the internet. Maybe now people will finally believe me and I won't have to harp on it anymore.

I think that's unlikely, because for one thing the headline is completely wrong, it should read, "We just now found out about the Teacher Glut a decade late!" The lead should be, "Sorry we had our head up our ass and spouted the union line all these years, it turns out there has really been a huge surplus of teachers all this time. Our bad." I imagine this is the only article of this type we will see, and it will be back to spreading the myth within a year.

As somebody who has spent hundreds of hours filling out ignored applications and who had people react to me like I must be some kind of child molester when I told them I couldn't find as much as a substitute job, I accept this article as the beginnings of an apology. There really is no way I will EVER cut the media slack on this one though. I don't blame them, I should have done the research on my own, but nor do I forgive them for printing lies and not doing any fact-finding which is their job after all.

No comments: