Thursday, July 05, 2007

There is no teacher shortage!

Don't know why I never got around to writing about this before, because it is one issue involving BS you hear from the media that I have a lot of first hand experience with. This myth really isn't spouted out that much by the press as much lately but the perception still exists. Ask most people if they think we have enough teachers to go around and they will probably say, "No way!"

The truth is, with the exception of secondary science, math and special ed. there are dozens even hundreds of unemployed teachers applying for any given opening. Elementary openings are practically non-existent. Here in Southern California, in the second largest market in the country I have only seen a few primary openings here and there. In the much maligned LAUSD, where supposedly anybody can get hired, they never post any elementary jobs.

When I got out of my teaching program in 2002 in Washington State I was lucky to get a job as a sub in the state. I had to move to rural Arizona to find a full-time teaching job. After two years experience down there I thought it would be a bit easier when I came back to WA state, but it didn't seem to make much difference. Because of a last minute issue with an overseas job, I had to scramble to find something and luckily I did find a one-year leave position 2/3-time Elementary Tech job.

After that job ended over a year ago now I was on the streets again. Now with 3 years experience, plenty of good references, I couldn't find anything at all in the Seattle area. After months of looking there were some opportunities that finally arose in rural Washington but it was at the same time as my wife got a job in Southern California so we opted to head down here. Well we came down at the wrong time to start looking and I had to deal with the inept state certifying board to get all my paperwork in order which took months, but for the last few months we have been in prime hiring season. I have had maybe 8 interviews now for jobs, mostly middle school English and yet no offers.

No I'm not the only one complaining here is a teacher forum full of chatty unemployed teachers. So take it from me, if there truly were a teacher shortage, I would be hard at work and wouldn't have as much time to Blog as I do now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has it ever crossed your mind that you interview poorly, or maybe you are a really BAD teacher and maybe that's why you don'y get hired? Hmmm... entitlement anybody?

curls said...

So I'm not sure what your point is Ms. Anonymous. Doesn't seem like the most constructive comment. So your saying there is a teacher shortage, and I just suck?

I don't think I'm the best teacher of all time but my former principals seem to have been happy with my work. Admittedly I have had interviews where I don't feel I did that well, but I am always myself and that's the most they can ever expect.

As for the entitlement comment, I don't know that I would put it in such terms, but yes, I think that with a Masters in teaching and 3 years of good experience, there should be opportunities out there for me.

If you want to take off the mask and tell me what your agenda is for leaving this ignorant comment I will be happy to discuss more specifics of job hunting in my field.

Rochell (Math Teacher) said...

Believe me, Kurly, you are right on the money. The "teacher shortage" is a MYTH, a HOAX, a lie propagated by universities and some leaders in the education field, who enjoy having hordes of begging applicants to choose from for any given position.

One more thing - anyone who talks about "good" teachers versus "bad" teachers is deluding themselves. There is no single teacher out there who will live up to everyone's definition of a good teacher, because, as it applies to teachers, definitions of "good" are inherently conflicting, depending on the point of view of the person judging. Case in point - I had one observation with a principal who recommended I do more heterogeneous grouping, emphasizing student choice. I did that. The next principal observer recommended I switch to homogeneous (like-ability) grouping in order to give more targeted instruction. BOTH POINTS OF VIEW ARE VALID. They are also diametrically opposed.

SUMMARY:
There is no teacher shortage.
Too many "good" teachers are unemployed.

curls said...

Thanks for the post, I didn't realize two years later with the even worse economy there were still people falling for the Teacher Shortage BS. I suppose just like astrology it is nonsense in the newspapers that is never going away.