Last Sunday I went in there and there must have been 20 guys hanging out in the little room all with laundry in their hands waiting their turn. It was a rainy day so I assumed they weren't able to work in the fields and were taking this rare time off to get chores done. Well needless to say I didn't really want to wait around. So I figured I had enough clothes to make it to Veterans day and I would try again.
This morning I woke up early and headed over there. All the machines were being used again! There was only one guy waiting this time but that was one too many as far as I was concerned. I had heard about another laundromat in another town about five miles away so I decided to take a drive. I headed down the highway until I saw a market that had a big sign on the side reading "Landermat." Bad English on signs is also something I can never get enough of.
I walked into this never-before explored laudromat and I found it empty except for a little old snowbird couple! Seing them was quite shocking for me so early in the morning. They were quite friendly of course, they said they were just finishing up and the machines would be free in a second. I loaded the machine with my grubby clothes and sat down to read a book while I waited. The place started filling up with migrant workers and it was good to know that I had beat the rush on this particular day.
It felt nice to get out of town to see how the rest of the world lives, even if it was only for an hour or so. Then as I was heading out of the parking lot after finishing my laundry, I spied a drifter with his thumb out. He needed a ride in the direction of my town. I let him jump in my car and he told me about his troubles during the 4 minute trip. I let him out by the gas station here and perhaps by the time you read this he has made it to Phoenix. Now that skepticklish
is such a success I suppose I could always buy a washer and dryer but then I would miss out on all the fun.Speaking of bad English I just had to point you to a column about the intelligence of Bush and his supporters that I wish I would have written myself. However to be fair, unlike some in our camp, I doubt any Bush supporters are stupid enough to pay $5 for a cup of coffee, drive 20 miles out of their way for gourmet olive oil, or waste four years of their life on an English degree.
2 comments:
Hi Aaron!
What? I have to become a registered Google Blogger to post to your website? Some interesting comments here! And I see you've even taken the time to insert multiple hyperlinks to your various subject matter! Is that easy to do on the BLOG? Wish I had more time to keep up with them...
Well, YO! This is Curtis up in the Great NW. I am posting anonymously for now. Your Might Ducks recovered mid-season, but have now fallen again by the wayside with the likes of the WSU Cougars. EWU has won the Big Sky this year, and will be an interesting NCAA 1-AA playoff entry with their great passing offense. No D though, so they are likely one game and out...
Blog on, my friend!
CJ in Spokaloo
Glad to hear all is well CJ. Ducks need to win next week to be eligible to play in a bowl this year! They have been in a bowl 11 straight years I think, lets not see it end here! Beat the Beavs! I am hoping they end up in the Las Vegas bowl and then I can pop up and see them over winter break.
Post a Comment