Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The dish on Dawkins

Richard Dawkins is the Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University. He is currently on Tour in the USA and in the Northwest in particular. I would recommend to all my friends and family up there to go see him speak if you have the chance. He will be headlining the James Randi conference in January in Vegas which regrettably my district is not going to help pay for me to attend this year. After going to it last year I thought it was the most useful educational event I have ever attended.

Dawkins has written a series of books on evolution. I have only managed to make it through "The Blind Watchmaker" which could be called his introductory text to the subject. Douglas Adams said it was the book that changed his life and that one hasn't fully understood evolution until it turns your brain inside out thinking about it. It was Dawkins lament and eulogy for the late Douglas Adams that also started to jumpstart my interests in science.

Dawkins was featured on public radio here in the USA yesterday in a 1/2 hour interview about his latest book "The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution." You can listen to that great interview here. After you have read Dawkins work your eyes will also be opened and you too can join the ranks of the rational logical minority.

No comments: