Monday, September 26, 2005

Billions and Billions

Tomorrow night those of you lucky enough to get The Science Channel have a chance to watch the greatest science documentary ever made. The 25th anniversary edition of Carl Sagan's Cosmos will begin airing! I doubt any of my readers actually get this channel though. The cable companies only have so much bandwidth afterall, and carrying an educational channel like that means that they would have to drop the Pat Robertson channel or one of those other horrible channels, like the once great AMC.


Well not to fear, you can currently get the Cosmos 20th Anniversary show on DVD. It is a great boxset and deserves a spot in your collection. Or I imagine you can wait for a bit and get this 25th Anniversary version in the near future. Sagan's explanation of the Cosmic Calendar in the first episode is worth the price of admission alone. You can even get a copy of this enlightening representation of the history of the Cosmos to hang on your wall.

I remember watching parts of the TV show when I was a kid when it first aired on PBS, but found it to be a completely new experience when watching it again on DVD a few years ago. So watch it for the first or fifth time, after all, what else were you planning on watching on TV tomorrow, the Tyra Banks show?

PS - Dawkins Alert! Check out this article in the NYT. Also here is an interesting (although admittedly questionable) study worth reading about.

No comments: