Saturday, September 17, 2005

one nation, under no god, indivisible

For everybody who just doesn't get why Atheists have a problem with the pledge, just imagine if kids were coerced to say the phrase in the title above. So in this supposed secular country, we are just saying we want the pledge back the way it was prior to the McCarthy era so everybody in this country can comfortably say it.

Thank goodness in all my teaching career I have never had to lead any kids in the pledge, because I would never say the whole thing as it currently stands. At my last school it was said over the loud speaker for the whole school and in my new job as a specialist I think the kids all do it individually in their own classes before they come to me. At school assemblys and things that I attend, I have no huge issue saying the rest of it and just pausing during the "under god" bit, but never in my life would I ever force a kid to say it.


There are a lot of those sort of Atheist issues that I really don't care that much about, like ten commandment monuments at courthouses, crosses on public land, 'in god we trust' on the money and such. While I am not crazy about any of these things, I am a realist and can see that they really don't affect my life that much. Fighting them is generally fruitless and does more harm than good. I always try to use the Do the Right Thing test, "Is it really worth dieing over the fact that there are no pictures of black people up at a pizza parlor?"

But when it comes to the pledge it is an issue that does directly affect me and is harmful to many kids. Well first of all, my philosophy is that schools should be teaching kids to be critical thinkers, and you generally will see words to that effect in most school's mission statements. Sorry, but critical thinking and religion tend to not go hand in hand in my experience. But leaving that aside, for the many students who do not believe in a single deity, they feel pressure in the class to say they do. They are coerced not only by the peer pressure of everybody around them, but by the endorsement of believing in a single deity by the teacher and school that make sure to mention it at the start of every day. A few years ago when this came up it seemed like you were hard pressed to even find Atheists who supported restoring the original pledge. Things have swung a bit and you can now even find supportive editorials and letters in newspapers across the country, from Alabama, Oregon, Illinois, New Jersey, Utah, Alabama, California, New York and Iowa.


So today I will make an agreement with the huge majority of you out there who still like the pledge in its current modified form. All you have to do is just for one day say the words under no god in the middle of your pledge, on that day I will stop complaining. Just for one day! Sound like a good deal?

8 comments:

Vincenzo Stravinski said...

Or perhaps you can advise students that do not believe in God to remain "silent" during the pledge. Isn't promoting "no God" the same type of propaganda as the pledge promoting "God"? But then remaining silent might look like those kids are in prayer -- and you probably wouldn't want to be caught in prayer.

curls said...

Before writing anymore smart ass comments try reading what I actually write. I used the phrase "no god" to explain how you might feel if you had to say something you didn't believe in. We are just asking to restore the pledge to its original form, neither endorsing a god or denying one.

Vincenzo Stravinski said...

Well, it actually wasn't a "smart ass" comment -- it was more of a helpful suggestion. I'm just saying, if you don't like the words to a particular song (or pledge), then don't sing it (or say it).

Look dude, I see your point, but I don't know how to solve it. Your solution infringes on my rights (and my kids' rights) to recite a pledge to our country and our God.

I realize you are a teacher, so you may have better insight into the protocol of the educational system's rules-of-morning-chantings. But I don't believe anyone is forcing you to recite the pledge.

Yeah, yeah, peer-pressure, yada, yada. Look, there are kids smoking and drinking and doing drugs and committing violence. That doesn't mean my kids have to participate. I'm teaching my kids to be good people, respect others, live healthy and believe in God. I'm not telling you to do anything you don't want to do.

Simply remain silent during the pledge, and respect those that want to believe in God.

curls said...

The bumper sticker "Don't pray in my school and I won't think in your church" comes to mind.

Nobody is saying you can't believe in whatever fantasy you want to, in your life and at your church. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me. But the first amendment says quite clearly that religion can't be endorsed by a public institution.

Not having "under god" in the pledge for you to utter, no more infringes on your right to freedom of religion than not having a prayer in the front of each text book does. If on your own you wanted to pray before reading the book, I say knock yourself out!

The true patriotic thing to do is to support the establishment clause. Without it, you might as well be living in Saudi Arabia.

Vincenzo Stravinski said...

Oooo...Easy there tough guy... I realize you probably think you're the smartest guy on earth and "know" for a fact there is "no God" - but calling my belief a "fantasy" is just ignorant and childish.

Nothing is certain. Everything you believe in is based on other people telling you it is so. Sure, they call themselves scientists and scholars - but every hundred years or so we laugh at what the scientists and scholars told us. Nothing is certain. And you certainly don't have all the correct answers.

The smartest people on earth, are the ones that recognize the possiblity they might be wrong.

curls said...

Hmm here I thought we were having a debate about the pledge, but as you decided to drop that I will consider that settled and address your recent comment.

If you are a regular reader you will find I have never said it is a fact that there is no god. I elaborated on that ealier here. I also have covered before why I don't think religion should be respected. Simply put, I think of it as if somebody comes up to me and says, "I saw Bigfoot this morning!" and then gives no further evidence to support it. Thoughts and ideas have to earn respect with me.

It is nothing personal, I have all sorts of friends and family who have wacky beliefs, I just tend not to discuss it with them in the real world because it never gets anywhere. But on my page if people want to take me on, I will speak the truth as I see it, nothing more nothing less. So if you are offended by my remarks or tone, there are many better sites than mine out there where you can hang out.

Vincenzo Stravinski said...

Well, I thought we were having a debate. But apparently other people's opinions upset you. So I'll move along...

curls said...

Take care and thanks for dropping by. Sorry you had to go, as I am sure anybody who writes a great article like this against verizon is a friend of mine! Keep up the good work!